Monday 8 September 2014

ENGLISH LANGUAGE JSS THREE



FIRST WEEK
ENGLISH LANGUAGE  - LESSON 1
Hello, student you are to read the comprehension passage  in your new concept English Book 3 Page 4 -5
The topic of the comprehension is “DANGER SIGNS ON OUR ROADS” read this passage and answer the comprehension questions that follows.
LESSON  2
Oral English
Topic: Description of the |I| and |I:| Sounds.
Hallo students, to make the |I| sound, the  part of your tongue is nearer the centre than the front and it is raised towards the roof of the mouth.
This |I| sound is described as a  front high vowel sound. It is also a short vowel sound. Examples of words are  /. Rip, Pretty, Fix, village, Sieve etc.
To make the |I:| sound, the front of your tongue is raised towards the roof of your mouth. The |I:| sound is also described as a front high vowel sound, your lips spread when you say the |I:| sound but this is a long vowel sound.
Examples are |: meal, seat, week, receive, field, police etc.
SOUND      CONTRAST
|I|                                          |I:|
1.        bit / bit /                                beat / bi:t /
2.        kill / kil /                                keel / Ki:l /
3.        chris / kris /                          crease / kri:s /
4.        list / list                                  least / li:st /
5.        This / dIs /                             these / di:z /


ASSIGNMENT
Write 10 examples on each of these sounds.  



LESSON 3
ENGLISH GRAMMAR
TOPIC:  CONJUNCTIONS

What is a conjunction?
A conjunction is a word  that joins two words; phrases or clauses together.
Examples of conjunctions are; but, and, because, if, although, or, than, in order that etc.

There are 3 major types of conjunction.
They are:-
1.        Co-ordinating conjunctions.
2.        Subordinating conjunctions and
3.        Correlative conjunctions.

(1).     CO-ORDINATING CONJUNCTIONS:- These are conjunctions that join together two co-ordinating clauses or phrases. e.g  “and”  “but” “or”
 A.       I went to market yesterday and I bought some food stuffs.
B.        I cooked the food myself but I was unable to eat it.

2.        SUBORDINATING CONJUNCTIONS: These conjunctions introduce subordinate clauses. They join a dependent clause or subordinate clause to a main or principal or independent clause. E.g. While, when, because, before, as, since, if, until, in order that etc.
1.        I saw the man when he came in.
2.        I will give you money if you marry me.
3.        He raped the girl because she disagreed to accept his offer.

ASSIGNMENT
Use these conjunctions in complex sentences.
1.        Before           2. Until          3. Whether              4. Unless       5. Since     6. After




           
                            

No comments:

Post a Comment